Monday, December 23, 2013

Electronically Submitting Assignments - No Recording Fee Effective January 1, 2014

Today, I submitted an assignment for recordation in the USPTO. I used the electronic patent assignment system (EPAS) and waited until this week because the USPTO appeared to state it would no longer charge the $40 recording fee for assignments submitted electronically on or after December 18, 2013. However, at the end of the process the USPTO said a $40 recording fee was due. Because I had to meet the three-month deadline, I submitted a $40 payment. Later I re-read the USPTO fee schedule and noted what was trumpeted as a fee revision only pertained to fee codes not the amounts. I note this in case you also found the USPTO fee schedule less than clear.

Copyright © 2013 Robert Moll. All rights reserved.